Friday, March 2, 2018

2017/2018 Algoma District Winter List


This winter, I didn't try super hard to add to build up my winter list.  However, I was able to get some good winter species this year for the Algoma District that I didn't get last year:

White-winged Scoter
Barrow's Goldeneye
Common Loon
Pied-billed Grebe
Horned Grebe
Ring-necked Pheasant
Northern Hawk Owl
Barred Owl
Great Gray Owl
Northern Saw-whet Owl
Black-billed Magpie
Carolina Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Red-winged Blackbird
Song Sparrow
Hoary Redpoll

In total, I had 68 species between December 1 and February 28, a slight increase from 61 last winter.  This brings my two year total to 77 species for my Algoma District winter list.  Next year, I'll have to actually make it up into the boreal forest before the end of February to get those species on my list!

In addition to my personal list, I started keeping track of all of the species recorded during the winter in the Algoma District.  There were 94 species total, with three of them being brand new ones for the overall Algoma District: Barrow's Goldeneye, Pied-billed Grebe (which I found) and Eurasian Tree Sparrow.  That list now sits at 165 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment