Thursday, January 19, 2017

Bohemian Waxwing Invasion

Bohemian Waxwings were definitely present on Whitefish Island in Sault Ste. Marie.  I had been seeing a few hundred each time I went there and others were reporting as much as 800. 

On January 14th, 2017, it was crazy.  They were everywhere.  I didn't even know where to begin counting.  It was so loud and so hectic, they were flying in every direction.  It really is hard to discribe what it was like.  Then, all of a sudden, almost all of them flew simultaneously into the air.  I was able to snap a quick shot of them before they the flock flew off into the distance. 

I realized I'd be able to count them from the photo so I quickly found them ones that remained and counted them.  There was only 106, definitely a manageable number to count compared to the group that had just left.  I found the time to count them from the photo a few days later and got a total of 1924 birds in the flock for a total of 2026 Bohemian Waxwings.  This is a new record high for the Algoma District, based on eBird data.

1924 Bohemian Waxwings taking flight

No comments:

Post a Comment